DRDO Full Form: DRDO in its full form is referred to as the Defence Research and Development Organisation. It shoulders the responsibility of research and development of the military forces. It falls under the purview of the Ministry of Defence, Government of India. Its headquarter is located in New Delhi. Mr. G. Satheesh Reddy is the present chairman of DRDO. This article illustrates the full form of DRDO along with its mission, vision, activities and major developments.
DRDO Full Form
Genesis & Growth
DRDO was set up in 1958 from the merger of three units- the then Technical Development Establishment (TDEs) of the Indian Army, the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP) and the Defence Science Organisation (DSO) as a small organization with 10 establishments or laboratories. Today, DRDO has expanded into a network of more than 50 laboratories backed by over 5000 scientists as well as 25,000 other scientific, technical and supporting personnel.
DRDO envisages to Make a prosperous India by the formation of a strong base for world-class science and technology. It also provides our Defence Services with a competitive edge by equipping them with internationally compatible systems and solutions.
- To design, develop and produce state-of-the-art sensors, weapon systems, allied equipment and infrastructure for our Defence Services.
- To provide quality manpower, and technological solutions to the Defense Services to optimize combat effectiveness and promote the well-being of the troops.
Sphere of Activities
- Apprise and advise Raksha Mantri, the Army, the Navy, the Air Force and inter-service organizations on all aspects of Science and Technology on National Security.
- Function as the nodal coordinating agency of the Ministry of Defence with the concurrence of the Ministry of External Affairs on all matters of Instruments of Accord with foreign Governments relating to the acquisition of technologies whose import to India is the subject of national security.
- Direct and manage agencies, laboratories, establishments, ranges, facilities, programs and projects of the department.
- Focus on all matters relating to certification of the design or worthiness of military aircraft, their equipment, and stores.
- Assist individuals, institutions, universities and bodies corporate, for study and for the training of manpower with finance or other required materials on aspects of Science and Technology that bear on national security.
- Handle the matters relating to association with Research Organisations, Universities, educational and research-oriented institutions abroad to provide for foreign scholarships and the training of Indian scientists and technologists under the administrative control of the Department.
- Execution of works and purchase of lands, stores, types of equipment and services debitable to the budget of the Department.
- Assist in all matters relating to personnel under the control of the Department.
- Financial sanctions relating to the Department.
- Autonomous Body: Aeronautical Development Agency.
DRDO develops defense technologies and products covering various disciplines, like aeronautics, armaments, electronics, combat vehicles, engineering systems, instrumentation, missiles, advanced computing and simulation, special materials, naval systems, life sciences, training, information systems and agriculture.
Some of the Major product/technologies under the domain of Aeronautics Engineering are:
- Ground Image Exploitation System
- Light Combat Aircraft
- Recovery Parachute system for light combat Aircraft.
Some of the major technologies or products developed by Armament Laboratories :
- Barrel manufacture in Aluminium alloy material for Small Arms.
- Sensor-based on induction-balanced principle
- Technology for nano PZT powder.
- Flight rocket launching technology.
- Electronic fuses for artillery shells, bombs, and mine.
The following are some of the product/technologies under the domain of combat engineering are:
- High-speed low Drag Aircraft bombs.
The following are some of the major technologies developed by Electronic engineering:
- 3D car
- Eyesafe Laser
- Laser warning system
The following are a few major developments under Life Science Engineering:
- Life support technologies to improve combat efficiency.
- Improved health and well-being of the soldiers even in extremes of environmental and operational conditions.
- Building the human capital for the Armed Forces.
- Provide appropriate military nutrition by developing novel food technologies (fresh and processed ) to strengthening man-machine interface through human factors engineering.
The following are some of the major Technologies developed by Material engineering:
- Diagnostic Kits for Biological & Chemical Warfare Agents
- Agro Technology for High Altitude
- Processed & Packaged Food
- Water treatment plant
- Thermal insulation
The following are some of the technologies developed by Missile engineering:
The following are a few major technologies developed by Naval system:
- Helicopter Fire Control System
- Two Stage Mounting System
People Also Reading: