GATE 2020 Exam Pattern: consists of number of questions asked in the examination, how many section are there, marking scheme and time duration. The national level engineering entrance exam for PG courses (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)) is conducted for admission to M.E./M.Tech/Direct Ph.D programmes which is offered by IITs, NITs, GFTI and various private institutions. It is conducted by seven zonal IITs and an IISc on rotation basis. IIT, Delhi conducted on 1st, 2nd, 8th and 9th February 2020. Here you will get the complete information about GATE Exam Pattern 2020.
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
GATE 2020 Application Process has been started now, Click Here to Apply Online.
GATE Exam Pattern 2020
GATE 2020 Examination will be conducted for 24 papers through online mode only (Computer Based Test). Students can appear only one paper. GATE 2020 examination will be held during morning (9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon) and afternoon (12:00 PM to 5:00 PM) sessions of weekends. GATE will also be conducted in International centers and the session timings at as per their local time.
Question Type: GATE 2020 question paper will be consisting of both multiple-choice type (MCQ) and numerical answer type of questions(NAT). For objective type questions, there are multiple options given out of which student need to select only the correct answer. For numerical answer type questions, candidates need to enter a number using the virtual keyboard available on the computer screen during the examination.
Number of Questions: GATE question paper will contain 65 question of maximum 100 marks.
Exam Duration: 3 hours
From below given tables candidates can check GATE paper and paper codes for GATE 2020:
|Paper||Paper Code||Paper||Paper Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mathematics||MA|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Engineering Sciences||XE|
GATE Exam Pattern for Various Papers
- In the papers of AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, Engineering Mathematics will carry 15% marks of total marks, General Aptitude section will contain 15% marks and rest of the 70% marks will be contained by the core subject of the paper.
- In the papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL, General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and remaining 85% marks will be carried by the core subject of the paper.
- General Aptitude section 5 questions of 1 Mark and 5 questions of 2 marks.
- Question paper other than GG, XE and XL will contain 25 questions of 1 mark and 30 questions of 2
For XE Paper:
Candidate appearing XE paper has to attempt the following sections:
- Section A – Engineering Mathematics (compulsory section) – contains 11 questions (7 questions of 1 mark and 4 questions of 2 marks)
- GA – General Aptitude
- Any two of XE sections B to H – contains 22 questions (9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks)
XE Exam paper contains the following sections
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F|
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
For XL Paper:
Candidate who want to appearing XL paper need to attempt the following sections:
- Section P– Chemistry (compulsory section) – Contains 15 questions (5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks)
- GA – General Aptitude
- Any two of XL sections Q to U – Contains 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark and 10 questions of 2 marks)
XL Exam paper contain the following section for GATE
Students can choose the sections during examination after viewing the questions.
For GG Paper:
GATE Exam will consist of two parts: Part A and Part B. Part A is Same for all candidates. Part B consists of two sections; In Section-1 consists of Geology and Section-2 consists of Geophysics. In Part A, there is total 25 of 1 mark each. In Part B, each section contain 30 questions of 2 marks.
Note: General Aptitude is the common section for all disciplines.
For every incorrect answer some deduction will be provided i.e. negative marking in GATE for multiple choice questions. There will be no negative marking for Numerical answer type questions. For 1-mark question, 1/3 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answers and for 2 marks question, 2/3 marks will be deducted.
for more information & query regarding GATE, leave a query in below comment box
We wish you all the best for your Bright Future.