For a simple understanding of the importance of confidence, consider these two scenarios:
Interviewer: Tell me about yourself.
Candidate: (not making a confident statement or maintaining eye contact) I am a B.Tech graduate (pause), and I am interested in SEO (long pause).
Interviewee: Tell me about yourself.
Candidate: (makes constant eye contact, sits confidently, doesn’t stammer) I am a B.Tech Computer Science graduate. I am keenly interested in programming and have been a part of various projects since my college days. Personally, I am more inclined toward front-end development, but I am also fluent in back-end development. Thank you.
What will be the obvious choice for the interviewer in the above 2 scenarios? Of course, the second candidate! These instances depict how important confidence is, not only in career choices but also otherwise.
In this post, read about some important tips on how to become more confident!
Benefits of Confidence
Having self-confidence has many benefits in your personal and professional lives. Take a look at some of them:
- You perform better in different spheres of life.
- Self-confidence helps to build healthier personal relationships.
- Better ability to face challenges in life and get over them.
- Devoting full energy to your goals without doubting yourself.
- Feeling good from within.
How to be More Confident: 10 Tips For You!
Confidence helps you transform your overall personality in a good way. It increases your control over life and helps you become better at decision-making. The benefits don’t just end here; it is a long list.
According to scientists, 85% of the world’s population is negatively affected due to low self-esteem or less self-confidence.
On the contrary, a self-confident person excels in both personal and professional lives. Additionally, your level of confidence becomes contagious, and it also helps others positively.
If you are struggling due to less confidence or self-esteem, here are 10 tips that will help you:
1. Do not compare yourself with others
Everyone’s journey is different. Some achieve sooner, and some later in life. The time taken to be successful does not depict the capabilities of an individual. Therefore, you must not worry about comparing yourself with others’ achievements. Many lose their precious time being jealous or low due to others’ success. This can harm your personal growth and hit your confidence to a low.
In case you are feeling low, you can do these steps:
- Get up and exercise.
- Write a gratitude journal.
- Take a break and go out.
Always remember, you are your only competition!
2. Talk to positive people
People around us have a lot of influence over us. Our thinking and our thoughts get hugely impacted by their views. So, it’s vital to choose the right people in your circle. Make sure they are positive and boost you to do better in life.
Stay away from toxic people who constantly drag you down, taunting you for your progress or anything else.
If you can think of someone or some people after reading the above line, bid them goodbye!
3. Focus on your physical health
One of the most vital aspects of feeling confident is how you feel inside. Make sure you never skip exercising to feel fit and strong. Further, it is important to keep your mind and body healthy and positive for the overall growth of your personality. I am enlisting some of the best practices you can follow for your physical health:
- Exercise: Never skip physical exercise in your routine. It helps release endorphins that relieve the mind and body. Further, you get to stay in shape, which is a bonus.
- Meditation: Doing meditation increases your focus and attention in daily life. Moreover, it’s an excellent way to boost your self-confidence and feel at peace from the inside.
- Healthy Diet: Your body is what you eat. Hence, fueling your body with nutrients and vitamins is important to feel healthier and stronger.
Investing time in your body helps you become mentally and physically more confident. So never skip it.
4. Talk to yourself positively
Positive self-talk is a game changer. It may sound absurd to talk to yourself at first. But trust me; it is one of the best ways to feel better and confident. Further, we become who we are because of our thoughts, so instead of saying:
- I am not strong enough.
- I can’t do this.
- I will never be good at it.
- I can never be as good as him/her.
- Putting in the effort is a waste of time; I will never succeed.
- I am strong.
- I will do this.
- I am good at it and will get things done.
- I will excel at it with my hard work and consistency.
- I will put in my best efforts to succeed.
These small changes will have a big impact on your attitude and confidence.
5. Focus on your strengths
Jot down your strengths and work towards bettering them more. These are the things that you genuinely love and are passionate about. So, when you work towards it, it will bring out the best in you. However, we are mostly forced to do what we don’t love, for instance, pursuing a degree in engineering or a doctorate. The con of doing something that doesn’t interest you is monotony, lack of confidence, lack of feel-good factor, and probably failure.
Therefore, it’s necessary to focus on what you are good at!
6. Work on realistic goals
In the heat of the moment, we tend to set unrealistic goals. When not accomplished, it hits our self-esteem. Therefore, instead of setting big goals, start with small steps. For instance:
- Pick up your diary and start scheduling your day.
- Enter tasks for different time frames.
- Include breaks.
- At the end of the day, check the boxes.
- Also, write your accomplishments in a line or two at the end.
Further, after curating the daily schedule, you will get an idea of your monthly schedule. Hence, it becomes easy to achieve goals step by step.
7. Face your fears
Facing our fears is quite challenging due to the thought of failure. Somewhere we tend to ignore the things that challenge us by expecting a negative result. But it is essential in life to face your fears boldly. However, it is not an instant step; you must invest time and effort. For a better understanding, consider this example:
- You must apply for job applications, but you are delaying the process. The fear of rejection or leaving your comfort zone holds you back. In this scenario, it is important to take a leap of faith, prepare yourselves, and jump into the field. This imparts confidence, and your self-esteem shoots up.
Remember, you get confident by daring to do something out of your comfort zone!
8. Do not be hard on yourself
In general life, we tend to be very tough on ourselves. Being tough isn’t always fruitful. By doing so, you are lowering your self-esteem. Instead, appreciate your wins and achievements in daily life. Be patient with yourself and embrace every aspect.
Take the help of these tips mentioned below:
- Make it a habit to celebrate small victories.
- Take a break when it becomes overwhelming.
- It’s okay if you don’t achieve all your daily goals.
9. Sleep well
A sound mind and body are important for overall personality development. It further boosts your confidence manifolds. Hence, make it a habit to get a good 7-8 hours of sleep at night.
According to a study, a mental health disorder affects 40% of people with insomnia. Such numbers show how important sleeping properly is!
You can only be confident if you are doing well physically and mentally. Never take your health for granted!
10. Cherish small achievements
In the hunt to achieve big goals, we forget the small achievements. This lowers confidence as we constantly aim for something that will take time. Remember, small wins turn out to become big wins. Pamper yourself by:
- Taking a trip or a short vacation.
- Going out and eating your favourite food.
- Take a break from your work to break the monotony.
When you feel good about yourself, confidence comes from within!
Confidence is essential in daily life. It develops your overall personality. Moreover, it has many benefits that help you shine brighter in every field. You become positive, radiant, and energetic. If you lack confidence, I hope the tips mentioned above help you.
Remember, the most beautiful thing you can wear is confidence.
People are also reading:
- Management Skills
- Leadership vs Management
- How to Become a Leader
- What is Leadership
- Must-Have Leadership Skills
- Leadership Books
- Talent vs Skill
- Boss Vs Leader
- Leadership vs Management
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best way to become confident?
The best way to be more confident is by believing in yourself, staying positive, focusing on your mental and physical health, and being with positive people.
2. Is confidence the key to life?
Being confident makes life easy. It helps us try new things and take up new challenges, which ultimately help us in growth.
3. Why do we need confidence?
Confidence helps us become a better version of ourselves. It’s the belief in one’s ability that helps achieve goals in life. Hence, being confident is not only essential but necessary.
4. What is the easiest way to become confident?
There is no easy way. It’s a process, so you must be patient and consistent. Practice the tips mentioned above to get better results.