The Full Form of IBM is International Business Machines Corporation.
What is IBM?
IBM is a multinational IT company having its headquarter in Armonk, New York. The diversified range of products offered by IBM has been captured markets in the field of Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Hardware, and computer software. IBM also caters to the service industry with its excellent services like outsourcing and consulting, spreading out its branches in over 170 countries.
IBM Full Form
This article covers the history, products and service range, and developments made by International Business Machines Corporation (full form of IBM).
History of IBM
- Charles Ranlett Flint formed a company named the Computing- Tabulating- Recording Company (CTR), based in Endicott, New York, in the year 1911, by the amalgamation of four other companies offering products like dial recorder, Electric Tabulating MACHINE, Timeclock, and computing Scale, invented and patented by the respective owners of the companies.
- Machinery like commercial scales, meat and cheese slicer, tabulators, punch cards, and industrial time recorder was manufactured for sale and lease by the CTR Company,
- In 1924, the title of the company was replaced to a more expansive one- “International Business Machines” by Thomas J.Watson who joined the company as the General Manager.
- Arvind Krishna is the present CEO of IBM.
- Inventions- the famous inventions and developments by the company are-
- Automated teller machine (ATM), , the electronic keypunch, the financial swap, Dynamic random access memory (DRAM)the floppy disk, , the magnetic stripe card, the relational database, the hard disk drive, RISC, the SABRE airline reservation system, the Universal Product Code (UPC), SQL, bar code, and the virtual machine.
Products and Services Provided by IBM
- Its product range can be divided into categories like include cloud computing, blockchain, software development mobile applications, mobile security and device management, API gateway, Data sets, IT infrastructure and management, Automation, Analytics, etc
- Wide aspects of Services by delivering the know-how of Business consultation and resiliency, Finance, commerce, Supply chain management, Cloud, Digital Workspace, Network, Technology, etc
Accomplishments of IBM
- In 1956- demonstrated the first practical example of artificial intelligence
- In 1957 – developed the scientific programming language FORTRAN
- In 1961- developed the SABRE reservation system for American Airlines and introduced the highly successful Selectric typewriter.
- In 1963 – helped NASA track the orbital flights of the Mercury astronauts.
- Continued its support of space exploration, participating in the 1965 Gemini flights, 1966 Saturn flights and 1969 lunar mission.
- In 1964 – announced the first computer system family, the IBM System/360
- In 1981 – Along with the World Bank first introduced financial swaps to the public in The IBM PC, originally designated IBM 5150
- In 1991- altered its printer manufacturing into a new business called Lexmark.
- In 2005 – sold its computer business to Chinese technology company Lenovo
- In 2009 – acquired software company SPSS Inc.
- In October 2018 – announced its intention to acquire Red Hat for $34 billion
- The revenue of the company stands at 79591million USD$ and the total number of employees is 366600 as of 2018, being one of the companies employing the highest numbers of employees.