PNR refers to the Passenger Name Record or a group of passengers traveling together, stored in the database of a Computer Reservation System (CRS). The passenger name record is the PNR Full Form.
PNR Full-Form | Passenger Name Record
The concept of the PNR was first introduced by airlines to exchange information when passengers required more than one flight to reach their destinations. However, PNR can also be used for bookings of hotels, rental cars, and train trips.
A PNR, created by the travel agent or travel website user, is stored in the CRS or Global Distribution Systems (computerized network system owned by companies such as Sabre, Travelport, Amadeus, Apollo, Galileo, etc.)
This is not just about the full form of PNR; rather, this article will put some light on the rarely known facts about PNR.
Parts of a PNR
Technically there ARE five parts of a PNR required before booking a journey-
- Name of the Passenger/ passengers
- Contact details of the travel agent or airline office
- Complete information of at least one passenger.
- Details of the tickets, such as Train number, Date of journey, Source and Destination stations, Class, Birth, and Quota
- Name of the person providing the information or booking the ticket.
10 Digits PNR
PNR is a 10ndigit number, in which the first three digits are said to be the indicator of the PRS (Passenger Reservation System) Centre from which the ticket is booked. PRS is the networking solution to the Indian Railways Passenger Reservation System.
The starting digit depends on the Zone of the Train, w.r.t. Starting station of the train.
- Issued from the SCR zone (Secunderabad PRS)
- Issued from NR, NCR, NWR, or NER zone (New Delhi PRS)
- Issued from SR, SCR, or SWR zone (Chennai PRS)
- Issued from NFR, ECR, ER, SER, or SECR zone (Kolkata PRS)
- Issued from CR, WCR, or WR zone (Mumbai PRS)
The last seven digits randomly generated to make the PNR number unique.
PNR is used as a single point of transactions as and when required.
For checking the PNR status for Indian Railways, enter the PNR number on a travel website.
- PNR status can also be checked online.
- Reservation check is done by sending SMS PNR to 139 or call 139.
- The PNR number of a ticket is usually printed on the top left corner of the ticket. In an e-ticket, the PNR is printed in a separate cell.
- For checking the PNR status of a flight, passengers have to visit the ‘Flight status’ tab on the official website of the flight booked for the journey. It will display information about the flight arrival and departure time, confirmation status of the flight ticket, and much more.
Importance of PNR Status
The booking status of the ticket is considered under PNR status. In the case of a train ticket, PNR status displays whether the ticket is CNF, WL, RAC, GNWL, PQWL, RLWL, etc.
Each of the above abbreviations stands for:
- CNF – Confirmed
- Confirmed + RAC
- RAC – Reservation Against Cancellation
- RAC + WL
- WL – Waiting List
- GNWL – General Waiting List
- PQWL – Pooled Quota Waiting List
- RLWL – Remote Location Waiting List
- TQWL – Tatkal Waiting List
If waitlisted train ticket has been allotted, the status of the ticket may change based on the cancellations on the confirmed tickets. The ticket may move to a lower waiting list number or can also get confirmed. Since the change in the PNR status is recorded in real-time, it is better to have a check on the status quite often.
The Validity of the PNR Number
PNR number is invalid after the completion of the journey.