What is SSC Stenographer? Staff Selection Commission conducts an all India Competitive examination, the SSC Stenographer Exam to hire eligible candidates for Stenographers Grade’ C’ (Group ‘B’ Non-Gazetted) and Stenographers Grade’ D’ (Group ‘C’ Non-Gazetted for various departments, ministries, and organizations in the Government of India. The SSC Stenographerrecruitment is done through online mode only. SSC had released the notification for Stenographer exam 2019-20 on September 20, 2019, and the exam will be conducted on May 5-7, 2020. The notification for SSC Stenographer 20-21 is expected to be released on August 04, 2020.
SSC Stenographer 2020 Highlights
|Exam Name||Staff Selection Commission Stenographer|
|Conducting Body||Staff Selection Commission (SSC)|
|Exam Level||National Level Test|
|Posts Offered||Grade C & D Stenographers|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 board from a recognized university|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Exam Mode||Written Exam and Skill Test|
|Duration||Written Test: 2 hours
Skill Test: 10 minutes
SSC Stenographer 2020 Eligibility
Before registering for SSC Stenographer 2020, the candidate must be aware of the eligibility criteria for the same. The eligibility criteria for SSC Stenographer is as given below:
- Nationality: The candidate must fit into any of the below-given criteria:
- A citizen of India.
- A subject of Bhutan, Nepal, or Tibetan/ Sri Lanka/ Burma /Pakistan/East African Countries who have migrated to India to settle before January 1, 1962, permanently.
- A candidate with Indian origins who have transferred from one of the following countries: Myanmar, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, etc.
NOTE: The candidates belonging to the (b) and (c) must provide their valid documents when asked.
- The candidate must be between 18 to 30 years of age for Grade-C and between 18 to 27 years of age for Grade-D.
- The age relaxation for reserved candidates is as given below:
|Category||Upper Age Limit/Age Relaxation|
|PwD (unreserved)||10 years|
|PwD (OBC)||13 years|
|PwD (SC/ST)||15 years|
|Ex-Servicemen||03 years after deduction of the military service reduced from the actual age as on closing date of receipt of online application|
|Candidates who had been domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir during the period from January 01, 1980, to December 31 1989||5 years|
|Widows/ Divorced Women/ Women judicially separated and who are not remarried.||35 years|
|Widows/ Divorced Women/ Women judicially separated and who are not remarried (SC/ ST )||40 years|
- Academic Qualification: The candidate must have passed 10+2 or any equivalent exam from a recognised board or university as on January 1, 2020.
SSC Stenographer 2020 Important Dates
In order to ace the coveted exam of SSC Stenographer, the candidates must be well aware of the exam dates so that they can plan their schedule accordingly and optimise their time for best results.
SSC Steno Grade C & D 2020-21:
|SSC Stenographer Notification to release on||August 04, 2020|
|SSC Stenographer 2020 Registration begins from||August 04, 2020|
|Last date to apply for the SSC Stenographer 2020||September 03, 2020|
|SSC Stenographer 2020 Exam Date||December 01 to 03, 2020|
|SSC Stenographer Result 2020 Declaration Date||Yet to be announced|
SSC Steno Grade C & D 2019-20:
|SSC Stenographer Notification to release on||September 20, 2019|
|SSC Stenographer 2019-20 Registration begins from||September 20, 2019|
|Last date to apply for the SSC Stenographer 2019||October 18, 2019|
|Last date for receipt of application||October 18, 2019 (5:00 PM)|
|Last date of online fee payment||October 20, 2019 (5:00 PM)|
|Last date for generation of offline Challan||October 20, 2019 (5:00 PM)|
|Last date for payment through Challan||October 22, 2019 (during working hours of Bank)|
|SSC Stenographer 2019-20 Computer Based Examination Date||May 05 to May 07, 2020|
|SSC Stenographer 2019-20 Result Date||Yet to be announced|
|SSC Steno Grade C & D 2019-20 Skill Test Date||Yet to be announced|
|SSC Stenographer 2019-20 Final Result Date||Yet to be announced|
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern
The SSC Stenographer 2020 Exam is conducted online and is a computer-based exam (CBT). The questions are in multiple-choice format. The medium of paper is both Hindi and English. SSC Stenographer 2020 will be conducted on two different levels, and the candidate must clear both in order to qualify the SSC Stenography Exam.
SSC Stenographer Grade C & D Tier 1 Written Paper(CBT)
|Section Asked||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Time Allotted|
|General Awareness||50||50||2 Hours|
|English Language and Comprehension||100||100|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||50|
NOTE: There will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer.
SSC Stenographer Grade C & D Tier 2 Skill Test Stenography
|10 minutes dictation in English/ Hindi||For Grade C||100 words/minute|
|For Grade D||80 words/minute|
|Transcription of the dictation on a computer||For Grade C||40 min (English), 55 min (Hindi)|
|For Grade D||50 min (English), 65 min (Hindi)|
NOTE: The candidates who opt to take the Stenography Test in English will be required to learn Hindi Stenography and vice versa after their appointment. The inability to do so will affect the selection of the candidate. This test will be held at the Commission’s Regional/ Sub Regional Offices or other Centre(s) as may be decided by the Commission, and the instructions regarding the same will be sent by the concerned Regional/ Sub Regional Offices of the Commission to the candidates called for the Skill Test.
SSC Stenographer Application Form
The candidates who are interested to appear in the SSC Stenographer 2020 Exam should follow the below-given steps to fill the SSC Stenographer 2020 Application Form.
- Visit the official website of SSC Stenographer 2020
- Locate the “New User? Register Now” tab on the site. Click on it
- Fill your basic details like Aadhaar Number, Name, Father’s Name, Mother’s Name, DOB, Mobile Number, Email ID, Address, and Qualification Details.
- Once you have filled the information, click on save.
- You will be redirected to the next page where you have to fill some additional and contact details.
- Proceed to upload your photograph and signature.
- Preview and submit the form.
- You will be redirected to the fee payment page.
- You can pay the fee both online(Net banking/ Debit/ Credit Card or BHIM UPI) or offline (e-challan).
- Your application form is successfully submitted.
SSC Stenographer Application Fee
The application fee for SSC Stenographer 2020 exam is as shown below:
|General/ OBC/ EWS candidates||INR 100|
|SC/ ST/ PwD/ Ex-servicemen and Female candidates||No Application Fee|
SSC Stenographer Admit Card
The admit card for SSC Stenographer 2019-20 Exam will be released in April 2020 on the official website of SSC. It is available on the website two weeks before the date of the examination. The candidates can follow the steps given below to download the SSC Stenographer Exam Admit card.
- Visit the official website.
- Locate the link “download SSC Stenographer Admit Card 2020” and click on it.
- Enter your credentials (roll number, date of birth, candidate’s name, etc.).
- Verify the entered details and click on submit.
- The SSC Stenographer Exam admit card will appear on the screen.
- Download it and take a print out for future reference.
SSC Stenographer Exam Centres
There are around 90 exam centres of SSC Stenographer 2020 Exam in India. These exam centers are given below along with their center code.
|Agra (3001)||Allahabad (3003)||Kanpur (3009)||Guna(6004)||Chattarpur (6002)|
|Lucknow (3010)||Varanasi (3013)||Bhagalpur||Raipur(6204)||Mandsaur (6010)|
|Gangtok (4001)||Ranchi(4205)||Jalpaiguri (4408)||Kolkata (4410)||Bhubaneshwar (4604)|
|Sambalpur (4609)||Port Blair (4802)||Surat(7007)||Leh(1005)||Panaji(7801)|
|Bengaluru (9001)||Thiruvananthapuram (9211)||Kochi (9204)||Thrissur (9212)||Gulbarga (9005)|
|Delhi(2201)||Aurangabad(7202)||Ambikapur(6201)||Chandigarh (1601)||Nashik (7207)|
|Almora(2001)||Guntur (8001)||Chennai||Rajkot(7006)||Jhabua (6008)|
|Srinagar (2004) (Uttarakhand)||Madurai (8204)||Visakhapatnam (8007)||Indore (6006)||Gwalior (6005)|
|Rewa(6012)||Hamirpur (1202)||Alwar (2402)||Dehradun (2002)||Srinagar (1007)|
|Bhatinda (1401)||Kozhikode (Calicut) (9206)||Ajmer(2401)||Haldwani(2003)||Pune(7208)|
|Raipur (6204)||Dharwad (9004)||Sriganganagar (2408)||Jammu(1004)||Amravati (7201)|
|Jagdalpur (6203)||Shimla(1203)||Khandwa(6009)||Churachandpur (5502)||Vadodara (7002)|
|Mangaluru (9008)||Udaipur (2409)||Bilaspur (6202)||Ahmedabad (7001)|
SSC Stenographer Result
The results for the SSC Stenographer 2020 written test and the skill test are announced separately. The result for 19-20 exam will be released in June 2020 (tentatively). The candidates who clear the written examination are eligible to sit for the skill test of SSC Stenographer. Once the skill test is done, the Commission releases a Final Merit List or Allotment List on the official website. The candidates who qualify both the rounds are appointed. They are allocated to various departments depending upon the merit and options selected by them.
How to view the result?
- Visit the official website.
- Locate the link ” Grade C and Grade D result” and click on it.
- Search for your Roll Number in the list.
- Download it and take a print out for future reference.
SSC Stenographer Cutoff
The previous year cutoff of SSC Stenographer Exam is given below:
List 1: Candidates qualified for Skill Test (Stenographer Grade ‘C’)
List 2: Candidates qualified for Skill Test (Stenographer Grade ‘D’)
SSC Stenographer Interview Details
There is no Interview conducted for SSC Stenographer Exam.
SSC Stenographer 2020 Salary
|Stenographer Grade||Stenographer Salary|
|Grade C||Rs. 9300-34800, Grade Pay – 4200/- (Pay Band 2)|
|Grade D||Rs. 5200-20200, Grade Pay – 2400/- (Pay Band 1)|
SSC Stenographer Syllabus
Syllabus of SSC Stenographer C & D Written Exam
SSC Stenographer C & D General Intelligence & Reasoning
- Abstract ideas & symbols
- Arithmetic reasoning
- Arithmetical number series
- Decision Making
- Discriminating observation
- Non-verbal series
- Problem Solving
- Relationship concepts
- Relationship, arithmetic computation, analytical functions of abstract ideas & symbols
- Similarities and differences
- Space Visualisation
- Verbal & Figure Classification
- Visual Memory
SSC Stenographer C & D General Awareness
- Art and Culture
- Awards and Honours
- Books & Authors
- Countries, Currencies, and Capitals
- Events and affairs of National and International Importance
- Government Policies and Schemes
- India and World Economics Scenes
- Indian Constitution & Scientific Research
- Indian Economy
- Indian Geography – Soil in India, Indian Crops, Indian Rivers, Farming and Irrigation in India, etc
- Indian History –Mughal Empire, Indian Independence Movement, etc.
- Indian Neighboring countries Sports
- Indian Polity
- Science and Technology
SSC Stenographer C & D English Language
- Active and Passive Voice
- Antonyms and Synonyms
- Basic English Grammar and sentence structure
- Cloze Test
- Comprehension Reading
- Direct and Indirect Speech
- Fill in the Blanks
- Para jumbles
- Parts of Speech – Noun, Pronoun, Verb, Preposition, Conjunction
- Phrase Replacement
- Phrases and Idioms
- Sentence Correction
- Spotting errors
SSC Stenographer Books 2020
|Subjects Name||Name of the book||Author Name|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Quantitative Aptitude||RS Agarwal|
|Quicker Mathematics||M Tyra|
|English Language||English Grammar||Wren and Martin|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|Essential English Grammar||Raymond Murphy|
|Objective General English||SP Bakshi|
|Objective General English||Dr. RS Aggarwal & Shri Vikas Aggarwal|
|Logical Reasoning||Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning||RS Agarwal|
|Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning||Kiran Publication|
|Analytical Reasoning||MK Pandey|
|Non-Verbal Reasoning||BS Sijwali & Indu Sijwali|
|General Awareness||Lucent General Knowledge (available both in Hindi and English but English edition gives better coverage)||–|
|Any monthly magazine, such as Pratiyogita Darpan, Wizard or Chronicle||–|
|One newspaper such as Hindu, Times of India, Hindustan times, etc||–|
|One yearbook, for reference, Manorama yearbook Any Budget special magazine||–|