GATE 2021 Examination will be conducted for 25 disciplines through online mode only (Computer Based Test). Students can appear in only one paper. GATE 2021 examination will be held during the morning (9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon) and afternoon (12:00 PM to 5:00 PM) sessions on weekends. GATE will also be conducted in International centres and the session timings will be as per their local time. The complete exam pattern is given below:
GATE Exam Pattern 2021
Question Type: The question paper of GATE 2021 will consist of both multiple-choice type (MCQ) and numerical answer type of questions(NAT). For objective-type questions, there are multiple options given out of which student need to select only the correct answer. For numerical answer type questions, candidates need to enter a number using the virtual keyboard available on the computer screen during the examination.
Number of Questions: GATE question paper will contain 65 questions of maximum 100 marks.
Exam Duration: 3 hours
From below given tables candidates can check GATE paper and paper codes for GATE 2021:
|Paper||Paper Code||Paper||Paper Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mathematics||MA|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Engineering Sciences||XE|
GATE Exam Pattern for Various Papers
- In the papers of AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, Engineering Mathematics will carry 15% marks of total marks, General Aptitude section will contain 15% marks and rest of the 70% marks will be contained by the core subject of the paper.
- In the papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL, General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and remaining 85% marks will be carried by the core subject of the paper.
- General Aptitude section 5 questions of 1 mark and 5 questions of 2 marks.
- Question paper other than GG, XE and XL will contain 25 questions of 1 mark and 30 questions of 2
For XE Paper
Candidate appearing XE paper has to attempt the following sections:
- Section A – Engineering Mathematics (compulsory section) – contains 11 questions (7 questions of 1 mark and 4 questions of 2 marks)
- GA – General Aptitude
- Any two of XE sections B to H – contains 22 questions (9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks)
XE Exam paper contains the following sections
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F|
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
For XL Paper
Candidates who want to appear in the XL paper need to attempt the following sections:
- Section P– Chemistry (compulsory section) – Contains 15 questions (5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks)
- GA – General Aptitude
- Any two of XL sections Q to U – Contains 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark and 10 questions of 2 marks)
XL Exam paper contains the following section for GATE
Students can choose the sections during the examination after viewing the questions.
For GG Paper
GATE Exam will consist of two parts: Part A and Part B. Part A is Same for all candidates. Part B consists of two sections; In Section-1 consists of Geology and Section-2 consists of Geophysics. In Part A, there are a total of 25 questions of 1 mark each. In Part B, each section contains 30 questions of 2 marks.
Note: General Aptitude is the common section for all disciplines.
For every incorrect answer, negative marking will be applicable. There will be no negative marking for Numerical answer type questions. For 1-mark question, 1/3 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer and for 2 marks question, 2/3 marks will be deducted.
People are also reading: