To clear the GATE examination, you need to know the exam pattern and the type of questions asked in the examination. Here we have explained the complete GATE exam pattern 2022 in detail.
GATE 2022 Examination will be conducted for 25 disciplines through online mode only (Computer Based Test). Students can appear on only one paper. The examination will be held during the morning (9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon) and afternoon (12:00 PM to 5:00 PM) sessions on weekends. GATE will also be conducted in International centers, and the session timings will be as per their local time.
GATE Exam Pattern 2022
Question Type: The question paper of GATE 2022 consists of both multiple-choice type (MCQ) and numerical answer type of questions(NAT). For objective-type questions, there are multiple options given, out of which students need to select only the correct answer. For numerical answer type questions, candidates need to enter a number using the virtual keyboard available on the computer screen during the examination.
Number of Questions: The GATE question paper contains 65 questions with a maximum of 100 marks.
Exam Duration: 3 hours
From the below-given tables, candidates can check GATE paper and paper codes for GATE 2022:
|Paper||Paper Code||Paper||Paper Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mathematics||MA|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Engineering Sciences||XE|
GATE Exam Pattern for Various Papers
- In the papers AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, Engineering Mathematics carries 15% marks of total marks, General Aptitude section contains 15% marks and rest of the 70% marks are contained by the core subject of the paper.
- In the papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, and XL, the General Aptitude section carries 15% of the total marks, and the core subject of the paper carries the remaining 85% marks.
- The General Aptitude section contains 5 questions of 1 mark and 5 questions of 2 marks.
- Question paper other than GG, XE, and XL contains 25 questions of 1 mark and 30 questions of 2 marks.
For XE Paper
Candidates appearing for the XE paper need to attempt the following sections:
- Section A – Engineering Mathematics (compulsory section) – contains 11 questions (7 questions of 1 mark and 4 questions of 2 marks)
- GA – General Aptitude
- Any two of XE sections B to H – contains 22 questions (9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks)
XE Exam paper contains the following sections
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F|
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
For XL Paper
Candidates who want to appear in the XL paper need to attempt the following sections:
- Section P– Chemistry (compulsory section) – Contains 15 questions (5 questions of 1 mark and 10 questions of 2 marks)
- GA – General Aptitude
- Any two of XL sections Q to U – Contains 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark and 10 questions of 2 marks)
XL Exam paper contains the following section for GATE
Students can choose the sections during the examination after viewing the questions.
For GG Paper
The GATE Exam consists of Part A, and Part B. Part A is the same for all candidates. Part B consists of two sections; In Section-1 consists of Geology, and Section-2 consists of Geophysics. In Part A, there are a total of 25 questions of 1 mark each. In Part B, each section contains 30 questions of 2 marks.
Note: General Aptitude is a common section for all disciplines.
For every incorrect answer, negative marking is applicable. There is no negative marking for Numerical answer-type questions. For 1-mark questions, 1/3 mark are deducted for every incorrect answer, and for 2 marks questions, 2/3 marks are deducted.
GATE examination is a lengthy and challenging exam. There are a total of 25 disciplines in GATE. Every year lakhs of students prepare for this prestigious exam. The exam pattern of GATE consists of two different formats namely multiple choice questions and numerical answer types.
The students are recommended to prepare for the exam diligently. You must download and analyze the syllabus as well as the exam pattern before commencing your preparation.
We wish you the best in everything!
People are also reading: