CDS is known as Combined Defence Service. It is conducted to fulfil various post in the Indian Military Academy, Officers Training Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Indian Air Force Academy. The CDS Exam is conducted twice in a year. Before knowing the CDS Syllabus 2020, let us understand the Scheme and Pattern of Combined Defence Services Examination. The CDS Exam conducts written and Interview for intelligence and personality tests.
CDS Syllabus 2020
CDS Exam Pattern for INA, IMA, IAA
|ELEMENTARY MATHS||100||2 HOURS|
|GENERAL KNOWLEDGE||100||2 HOURS|
|TOTAL DURATION||6 HOURS|
CDS Exam Pattern For OTA
|GENERAL KNOWLEDGE||100||2 HOURS|
|TIME DURATION||–||4 HOURS|
CDS syllabus 2020
English (Code no. 1)
The CDS Exam question paper will be designed to test the candidates’ understanding of English and the use of words. The syllabus is as given below:
- Para Jumbles
- Reading Comprehension covered in CDS Exam Syllabus
- Jumbled Sentence
- Fill in the blanks
- Sentence Correction
- Finding errors and omissions etc covered in CDS Exam Syllabus
Focus on these topics
- Focus on reading comprehension.
- Practice daily passages from sample papers
- Improve your vocabulary by learning new words daily
- Read the newspaper and latest article on a daily basis.
General Knowledge (Code no. 02)
This section includes questions from current events of those matters of everyday surveillance and experience in their scientific aspects. It will also include questions on History of India and Geography of nature. The syllabus is as given below:
- Knowledge of current topics
- knowledge of History of India and Geographical issues
- Indian Economy covered in CDS Syllabus
- Current happening in the field of business, politics, sports, entertainment etc.
- Monuments of India
- Books and Authors name
- Indian Navy & Military
- Banking Sector
- Universities covered in CDS Syllabus
- Books & Authors covered in CDS Exam Syllabus
- Sports – Awards etc.
Focus on these topics
- Read newspapers and magazines regularly to keep yourself up-to-date regarding the current events
- Solve previous years sample papers
- Make note of the important information.
Elementary Mathematics (Code No. 03)
- Number System Natural numbers, Integers, Rational, and Real numbers. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal fractions.
- Unitary method: Time and Distance, Time and Work, Percentages, Simple and Compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation.
- Elementary Number Theory – Division algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility. Multiples and factors. Euclidean algorithm.
- Basic Operations
- Simple factor
- Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M
- Theory of polynomials
- solutions of quadratic equations
- the relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered)
- Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns-analytical and graphical solutions
- Sine ×, cosine ×, Tangent × when 0° < × < 90° Values of sin ×, cos × and tan ×, for × = 0°, 30°, 45°, 60° and 90°
- Simple trigonometric identities.
- Use of trigonometric tables.
- Simple cases of heights and distances.
- Lines and angles,
- Plane and plane figures,
- Theorems on (i) Properties of angles at a point (ii) Parallel lines, (iii) Sides and angles of a triangle, (iv) Congruency of triangles, (v) Similar triangles, (vi) Concurrence of medians and altitudes, (vii) Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square (viii) Circles and its properties including tangents and normals, (ix) Loci.
- Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle.
- Areas of figures which can be split up into these figures (Field Book).
- Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones.
- Cylinders, surface area and volume of spheres.
- Tabulation of statistical data.
- Graphical representation frequency polygons.
- Pie charts
- Bar charts.
- Measures of central tendency
Focus on these topics:
- Maximum questions are asked from trigonometry and quadratic equation topics.
- Theory-based geometry questions are also asked. However, statistics based questions are also asked at times.
- Aspirants need to clear their basic concepts.
- Memories all the formulas.
|General knowledge||Current events, daily newspaper headlines, chemistry, history, geography etc.|
|Elementary Maths||Number System, Unitary Method compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation, Elementary Number Theory. H.C.F. and L.C.M, Euclidean algorithm, Logarithms, Algebra, trigonometry, geometry, areas, menstruation, and statistics|
|English||Basic grammar topics, comprehension, synonyms, antonyms, Para jumbles and error spotting.|
CDS Syllabus 2020 – Recommended Books
The list of recommended books has been provided here for candidates who are looking for study material that offers syllabus wise explanation and theory along with solved examples.
- CDS exam books – CDSE Pathfinder by Arihant
- Chapter wise-Section wise Solved Papers CDS exam books by Arihant
- CDS Exam Guide: Combined Defence Services Exam (English) by RP DATASON – CDS exam books
- Mathematics for CDS by RS Aggarwal
- Quantitative aptitude for competitive examinations paperback – 2020 By R.S. Aggarwal
- Objective General English (English) 01 Edition Author: R. S. Aggarwal
- Manorama Yearbook 2020(English) Author: Mathew M
People are also reading:
- CDS Application Form
- CDS Eligibility Criteria
- CDS Preparation Tips
- CDS Important Topics
- CDS Admit Card
- CDS Exam Pattern
- CDS Paper Analysis