Biotechnology or Biotech engineering is a field of applied biology and substance engineering that includes the utilization of living things in engineering, innovation, medication, and other helpful applications. It incorporates hereditary engineering just as cell and tissue culture advancements. Biotechnology is an assortment of consolidated advances applied to living cells for the creation of a specific item or upgrading its quality. This may include the taming of animals, the development of plants, and “upgrades” through reproducing, selective choices, and hybridization.
This field of science incorporates biology as well as subjects including arithmetic, material science, science, engineering, and that’s just the beginning. Its application shifts in ventures, for example, food, pharmaceuticals, concoction, bio-items, medication, nourishment, natural preservation, and animal sciences. Biotechnology coordinates branches like hereditary qualities, sub-atomic biology, biochemistry, embryology, and cell biology, which are connected to pragmatic strengths like substance engineering, data innovation, and applied autonomy. Biotechnology engineering is a college degree program in applied sciences that amalgamates the realities from both Biological sciences and innovation. This study uses biological procedures which incorporate the investigation of microorganisms or information on antibiotics and further execute them for different modern reasons.
In simple terms, Biotechnology is an examination that includes the utilization of living life forms. The living beings are utilized to make valuable synthetic concoctions that can be used in enterprises. Biotechnological items are utilized in regions like agribusiness, food sciences, and medication. Biotechnology can be characterized as an innovative application that utilizes biological frameworks, for example, living beings or their subsidiaries, so as to make items. Biotechnology draws on the unadulterated biological sciences (hereditary qualities, microbiology, animal cell culture, atomic biology, biochemistry, embryology, cell biology), and on numerous occasions, it is additionally reliant on information and strategies from outside the circle of biology (synthetic engineering, bioprocess engineering, data innovation, and bio-apply autonomy).
Eligibility Criteria for Biotechnology Engineering
The candidates must fulfill the below-given requirements to be eligible to pursue Biotechnology engineering:
Undergraduate (UG): The students interested in applying must have cleared the class XII examination from a recognized board with Science stream, i.e., with Biology, Chemistry & Maths as their main subjects. Along with this, the student must also have secured a minimum of 60% aggregate in the best of three, i.e., in the above subjects combined.
Postgraduate (PG): The students interested in applying must have a BTech/BE degree in the same stream (same as the stream applied for postgraduation with minimum aggregate, which varies from university to university.
Sub-disciplines in Biotechnology
Alternately, present-day biological sciences (counting even ideas, for example, sub-atomic biology) are personally weaved and reliant on the techniques created through biotechnology and what is normally thought of as the existing sciences industry. It has many sub-disciplines, such as:
- Molecular Biology
- Animal Husbandry
Role of Biotechnology Engineer
- Biotechnologists likewise manage bioinformatics which includes the utilization of applied arithmetic, informatics, measurements, software engineering, computerized reasoning, science, and biochemistry
- Biotechnologists carry out clinical procedures, for example, getting life forms to create new medications, or utilizing immature microorganisms to recover harmed human tissues and re-develop whole organs.
- Biotechnologists manage clinical gadgets, instruments utilized in emergency clinics, and clinical labs.
- Biotechnologists follow modern procedures, for example, the creation of new synthetic substances or the advancement of a new additive that can be utilized for food stockpiling.
- Biotechnology specialists build up hybrid plants and include such procedures as the improvement of safe vermin grains or the quickened advancement of disease-resistant crops.
The scope of biotechnology in India is extraordinary, and job roles include designers, biologists, and numerous other such experts. The regions where biotechnology has developed in India incorporate bioinformatics, rural biotechnology, bio-composts, national bio-asset improvement, plant biology, and marine biotechnology. Biotechnology Engineering applies in the field of animal cultivation, agribusiness, vitality creation, and preservation, contamination control, illness look into, eco-protection, and innovative work of medications, immunizations, manures, and bug sprays. The job roles include:
- Science Writer
- Sales Representative
- Research Scientist
- Research Associate
- Quality Control Officer
- Lab Technician
Companies that Hire Biotechnology Engineers
- Toshiba Medical Systems:
- Thapar Group
- Tata Engineering Research Institute
- Smiths Medical
- Siemens Healthcare
- Samsung Healthcare:
- Philips Healthcare:
- Olympus Medical:
- Karl Storz:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Indo-American Hybrid seeds
- India Vaccines Corporation
- Hindustan Lever Ltd
- Hindustan Antibiotics
- Hamilton Medical
- Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KGAA
- Biocon India Ltd
- Allengers Medical Systems:
Popular Biotechnology Engineering Colleges in India
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
- PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Delhi Technological University, Delhi
Biotechnology Engineering Syllabus
- Animal Biotechnology- Design, primary culture, layout, introduction to animal tissue culture
- Bioenergetics- Lipids, Nucleic acids, Carbohydrates, Biochemical evolution
- Cell Biology – Cell signaling, cell division, and cycle, the cell nucleus
- Chemical Engineering- Heart solutions, the flow of incompressible fluids, chemical equations
- Concepts in biotechnology – Plant cell culture, introduction to biotechnology, protein structure, and engineering
- Developmental Biology – History and basic concepts, germ cell morphogenesis
- Electric Sciences- Alternating Currents, Transformers, Measuring instruments, properties of conductors and insulators
- Enzyme Technology- Introduction to enzymes, Specificity of enzymes, Immobilization of enzyme
- Essential in mathematics- Quadratic forms, mean value theorems, algebra of matrices, partial derivatives
- Foundation of Organic Chemistry – Reactive intermediaries, Stereochemistry, electronic displacements
- Foundation of Physics – Fibre optical, Polarization, Diffraction, Introduction to lasers, Wavefront
- Inorganic Chemistry – Acids and Bases, Polymers, Colloids, Chemical Bonding, Catalysis
- Introduction to computers – data storage, programming using C
- Life Sciences- Homeostasis, Asexual reproduction, control and coordination
- Life Sciences- Nutrition, Energy utilization, the origin of life, histology
- Microbiology- Microbial growth, Microbes in human life, Functional Anatomy
- Molecular Biology- DNA replication, Gene mutation, Properties and structure of nucleic acids
- Plant tissue culture- Protoplast culture, cell, and suspension culture, cellular totipotency, haploid culture
In short, biotechnology is technology based on biology – biotechnology is the amalgamation of cellular and biomolecular processes to build technologies and products to improvise our lives . The biological processes of microorganisms are being used for more than 6,000 years. It is used to develop useful food products, such as bread and cheese, and to store dairy products.
With more such advantages, it is one of the most opted fields at present. There are various career options in this field. If you possess an interest in Biotechnology, then you must go for it.
We hope that this article helped you in the best way possible.
People are also reading: