We all know that Engineering is one of the most popular courses in India, and there are many engineering colleges in India. B.Tech or Bachelor of Technology is a professional undergraduate degree program for students after they complete their 4 years of study in the field of engineering.
Here in this post, we have mentioned everything about B.Tech in detail.
It is considered one of the most popular courses after class 12th science. Those who have cleared their class 12 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics can apply for the various B.Tech courses.
However, the other eligibility criteria are different for every college. Some institutes also provide admission on a merit basis.
One of the most common entrance exams for candidates pursuing a B.Tech is JEE Main and JEE Advanced. Apart from these two exams, there are many other states- and university-level exams.
BTech Course Highlights
|Name of degree||Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech)|
|Course duration||4 years|
|Admission process||Entrance test followed by counseling|
|Annual course fee||INR 2 to 5 lakh|
|Top institutes||IITs, NITs, IIITs, VIT, SRMIST, BITS, etc.|
|Top recruiters||Google, Apple, Hindustan Unilever Ltd, ISRO,|
|Specializations||Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Marine Engineer, etc.|
List of B.Tech Specialisations
B.Tech degree comes with various specializations. Some of them are given below:
|Computer Science Engineering||Mechanical Engineering||Chemical Engineering|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||Electronics & Electrical Engineering||Civil Engineering|
|Aerospace Engineering||Petroleum Engineering||Electrical Engineering|
|Metallurgical Engineering||Marine Engineering||Ceramic Engineering|
Note: Although so many specializations are available, one of the most popular specializations includes Computer Science Engineering.
B.Tech Eligibility Criteria
Those who are planning to apply for various B.Tech courses must fulfill the following eligibility criteria. You also need to note that these are the basic requirements only. The other criteria vary from one institute to another.
- Candidates must have cleared class 12 from a recognized board with PCM as the main subject.
- You must have scored a minimum of 60% in all three subjects.
- Apart from this, admissions to these courses are also provided based on the performance in the entrance exams.
BTech Entrance Exams
Did you know that, In India, all the technical programs like B.Tech are under the regulation of the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and the National Board of Accreditation (NBA)?
Those who want admission to these programs must appear for national-level, state-level, and institute-level engineering entrance exams.
The five most popular entrance exams are:
- JEE Main: It is conducted by the NTA to provide admission to various B.NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs, provide tech courses. JEE Main consists of two papers – Paper 1 (BE/BTech) and Paper 2 (BArch/BPlan).
- JEE Advanced: A national-level entrance examination provides admission to IITs. Those who clear the JEE Main can appear for JEE Advanced.
- VITEEE: It is another most popular exam at the institute level. Those who clear this exam can get admission to B.Tech courses provided by the Vellore Institute of Technology.
- MHT CET: Those who want to get into colleges providing B.Tech courses in Maharastra can appear for MHT CET.
- TS EAMCET: TS EAMCET offers admissions to students in the Telangana state institutes based on their scores in the entrance exam.
B Tech Admission Process
Those who want admission to various courses must know the admission process. However, unlike the eligibility criteria, the admission process is similar for every institute.
Here is the complete B.Tech admission process:
- The candidates need to appear and clear the required entrance exam.
- The national level entrance exams like jEE Main are accepted by NITs, IIITs, GFTIs, etc. however, the JEE Advanced is conducted for those who want to get into IITs.
- Candidates can also appear for other state-level exams like WBJEE, KEAM, AP EAMCET, TS EAMCET, MHT CET, etc., and university/college-level exams like BITSAT, VITEEE, SRMJEEE, UPESEAT, etc.
- After the results are announced, the counseling and seat allotment process will be conducted.
- The students must choose their preferred courses and colleges based on their marks in the counseling process.
- Once the seat allotment process is completed, you must visit the allotted engineering college and complete the admission process.
Skills Required For B.Tech Graduates
|Skills required for BTech|
|Decent Speaking and Writing Skills||Familiarity with Industry standards|
|Analytical & Creative thinking||Acquaintance with Computers & IT|
|Knowledge of the core subject||Teamwork|
|Application of the knowledge||Leadership Skills|
Job Opportunities For B.Tech Graduates
The job opportunities available for B.Tech graduates are huge. Here are some job profiles for graduates in this field.
|Types of job profiles for BTech graduates|
|Computer Science Engineer||Mining Engineer|
|Mechanical Engineer||Ceramic Engineer|
|Civil Engineer||Production Engineer|
|Automobile Engineer||Robotics Engineer|
|Chemical Engineer||Electronics & Communication Engineer|
|Electronics Engineer||Software Develop|
|Aeronautical Engineer||Product Manager|
|Marine Engineer||Construction Engineer|
|Aerospace Engineer||Telecommunication Engineer|
What After B.Tech?
The B.tech graduates need to know that various other options are available after completing this course. Those who wish to study further can apply for an MBA degree or take the GATE exam to pursue higher studies in the chosen specializations. Some BTech graduates also launch their start-ups.
Top Recruiters for B.Tech Graduates
Here are some best companies who are recruiting B.Tech graduates:
|Top companies hiring Engineering graduates|
|TATA Consultancy||Bain & Company|
|Infosys Technologies||Larson & Toubro|
|IBM Global Services||InfoEdge India Ltd|
|Goldman Sachs||AT Kearney|
|Microsoft||Hindustan Unilever Ltd|
|Mckinsey Knowledge Centre||JP Morgan|
|Rubrik and Uber||Intel|
|Procter & Gamble||ICICI|
|Millennium||Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd|
|Sysmex||Triveni Turbine Limited|
B.Tech or Bachelor of Technology is a professional undergraduate degree program for students after they complete their 4 years of study in the field of engineering.
Those who have cleared their class 12 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics can apply for the various B.Tech courses.
The most common entrance exams for candidates pursuing a B.Tech is JEE Main and JEE Advanced. Apart from these two exams, there are many other states- and university-level exams.
People are also reading: