The entire limelight has been on ChatGPT since its debut on November 30, 2022. This AI-generated content tool showed a massive audience pool within a few days of its launch. As of February 2023, it is being used by a staggering number of approximately 100 million users.
The AI just talked about in theory has now turned into reality!
The creator of Gmail, Paul Buchheit, tweeted: Google is only one or two years away from ‘total disruption’ due to AI chatbots like ChatGPT.
Now, the CEO of Google, Sundar Pichai, has announced that ChatGPT’s competitor is in the making: Bard!
He tweeted: ‘In 2021, we shared next-gen language + conversation capabilities powered by our Language Model for Dialogue Applications (LaMDA). Coming soon: Bard, a new experimental conversational GoogleAI service powered by LaMDA’.
Let me provide some interesting insights on this debate: ChatGPT vs Bard!
What is ChatGPT?
On December 1, 2022, the CEO of ChatGPT Sam Altman tweeted: ‘today we launched ChatGPT. Try talking with it here: ChatGPT.’
Within four days of its release, on December 5, 2022, the tool crossed 1 million users.
Now, coming straight to the question, What is ChatGPT?
OpenAI developed ChatGPT, and Microsoft is its strategic partner. Microsoft has invested in OpenAI and plans to further add ChatGPT to its Bing search.
ChatGPT is an AI-powered chatbot that helps you get solutions to your queries (any query). From providing results on philosophy to creating poetry, and history to politics, even writing codes and fixing bugs and errors, ChatGPT does everything!
However, as it is in its early stage, many improvements must be made. The chatbot is not always accurate, but the team is working on it!
Technology Behind ChatGPT
ChatGPT currently runs on the most advanced version of the GPT series, GPT-3.5, developed by OpenAI. Additionally, this technology can handle vast amounts of data which powers ChatGPT to deliver results resembling human writing.
Initially, the tool is in the testing phase and focuses on understanding users’ needs and requirements. It is garnering high traffic, due to which the current capacity of the version saturates. Even the founder of ChatGPT did not expect such a massive response worldwide.
Interesting fact: The technology GPT- 3.5 had to undergo analyzing enormous amounts of data and information available on the web to learn, understand, and execute humanlike writing. Moreover, another model known as InstructGPT was built to evaluate the results of ChatGPT.
How Does ChatGPT Work?
Simply you can consider ChatGPT as a transformer-based machine learning model. A machine learning technique known as RLHF was used to help it gain capabilities to interact like humans. Moreover, a team acting as the user and an AI chatbot diligently worked together to build it.
Interestingly, it uses a neural network to compose answers. What’s that? Well, in the same way neurons in the human brain understand and communicate with each other, algorithms in this tool do the same. Further, the brain works on finding solutions based on experiences, right? ChatGPT also works based on human interactions in the training phase to produce outcomes and understand patterns in language!
Overall, this model ended up creating humanlike conversations that users currently love.
For instance, take a look at this screenshot. Such interactions based on any random topic impress the masses and provide solutions simultaneously.
One of the biggest reasons for its rising popularity is its easy accessibility. Anyone can access it from anywhere.
Are There Any Limitations of ChatGPT?
Of course. Every tool has its limitations. The same applies in the case of ChatGPT. If you have already used this tool, you must be aware of some shortcomings.
Let me explore it for you!
- Answers aren’t always accurate: in a few cases, ChatGBT cannot provide accurate solutions to the users. There are specific questions that it fails to answer and leaves the user unsatisfied.
- Formal: the inquiries are typically formal as of now.
- Still changing: as it is currently in the testing phase, development is still going on. Therefore, there are times when its capacity is full and it doesn’t work.
- Can be monetized: there is a high probability of monetization in the future. However, if this happens, user involvement will reduce. Let’s see how things turn out!
- Lacks depth in some answers: many students are using this tool regularly, and the findings state that there is no depth and more profound observations in the answers. Besides, it only summarises the topic and doesn’t provide detailed insights.
What is Bard?
Simply, Bard is the answer to ChatGPT.
The main intention behind launching Google’s Bard is to give direct competition to ChatGPT. As mentioned above, the CEO of Google, Sundar Pichai, tweeted about its launch shortly (expected at the end of February 2023).
According to Google, Bard seeks to combine the breadth of the world’s knowledge with their large language models’ power, intelligence, and creativity!
It aims to provide information that is highly qualitative and unique. It has also hinted at providing more creative and in-depth responses, which ChatGPT currently lacks.
Here are some crucial points you need to know:
- Initial release with a lightweight model version of LaMDA.
- Plans to combine internal testing with external feedback to create helpful and relative responses for the user.
- Seeks to combine intelligence and creativity of large language models.
Overall, it is expected to resemble ChatGPT in various aspects. Let’s wait for its final release!
Bard vs ChatGPT: What’s the Difference?
Although both Bard and ChatGPT are chatbots powered by artificial intelligence, there are significant differences.
- One of the core differences between the two chatbots is the method of responding to the users. In the case of Bard, the results will be fetched from the vast data available on the internet. On the other hand, ChatGPT’s responses were formulated based on the data it has been fed till 2021, i.e., it currently suffers from the limitation of data and getting information in real-time.
Let’s see how ChatGPT conquers this aspect!
- In terms of technology, Bard is powered by Google’s LaMDA. ChatGPT runs on GPT 3.5, which uses deep learning and conducts humanlike conversations while giving solutions.
- Moreover, the information is quite limited on ChatGPT, which is expected to be contrary to Bard. Bard promises to be creative and provide insightful responses.
Another Giant Competitor?
The limelight is not just on ChatGPT and Bard, the Chinese web giant Baidu is planning to release Ernie Bot in March 2023. Yes!
Ernie stands for Enhanced Representation Through Knowledge Integration.
Currently, the team is working on their latest chatbot, which will be released in the market against the two major players, ChatGPT and Bard.
Following this news, the stocks of Baidu surged immensely.
Are There Any Challenges to Using AI-powered Chatbots?
Undoubtedly, there is a lot of hype for these AI-powered chatbots. However, there are quite some challenges with using them.
- Such tools can be used to create potential malicious codes.
- From the security aspect, the web data is secure, but when you add specific chatbots, there is no guarantee that the API is secure. This can result in hacking and data leaking. Hence, the tools must ensure security measures.
- Certain chatbots can sometimes reflect bias and stereotypes leading to some offensive answers.
- Users may not get proper reasoning as these bots are developed to answer queries based on specific patterns.
- Lacks some features now, such as natural language understanding.
- Users can ask only one question at a time. Multiple queries can confuse the tool, and you may not get any answers or receive the wrong ones!
Nevertheless, AI-powered chatbots have brought a revolution amongst the masses. ChatGPT has entered the world with a storm. So is the plan of Bard. Other tools are also in the queue, such as Ernie Bot. Let’s see what these tools offer and how they will differ from ChatGPT.
In this discussion of Bard vs ChatGPT, one thing is constant; both are AI-powered chatbots to provide humanlike solutions in a conversation to the users. Yes, there are differences in technology, methods of offering answers, and more which I tried to cover above. Both have highly promising futures!
Let’s welcome this revolution and continue evolving more with such advancements!
People are also reading:
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques1. Is ChatGPT free to use?
Ans. Yes. ChatGPT is free of cost. Anyone can access it from anywhere.
Ques2. What is Google’s Bard?
Ans. Bard resembles the chatbot ChatGPT. However, Bard has not yet been released. It is expected to launch near the end of February 2023.
Ques3. What can I search on ChatGPT?
Ans. Users can search for anything on this tool. It even builds codes for you and solves errors and bugs.
Ques4. Will Bard be free of cost?
Ans. As of now, it will be free of cost.
Ques5. Can ChatGPT write poems for me?
Ans. Yes. ChatGPT writes poems, draws images, builds codes, and much more. Try it out now!