The candidates appearing for the UPSC IES exam need to read the IES Eligibility Criteria before filling out the application form.
The eligibility criteria were released with the official notification on the official website. The notification explains the number of vacancies, eligibility criteria, application details, exam dates, syllabus, and exam pattern.
In this article, we will discuss the IES Eligibility Criteria 2023.
UPSC IES 2023 Recent Updates
- UPSC IES notification was released Soon
- The UPSC IES application form was available from September, 2023, and the last date of submitting the Application form was 12 October 2021 till 6 P.M.
- The UPSC IES Prelims Examination will be held Soon
- The UPSC IES Mains examination will be held Soon.
UPSC IES Eligibility Criteria 2023
It is crucial to check the eligibility criteria before filling the application. Only candidates who meet the IES Eligibility Criteria 2023 can apply for the IES exam. The complete IES Eligibility Criteria is given below:
Candidates must be a citizen of either one of
- Tibetan refugees who came over to India before 1 January 1962 intended to settle in India permanently.
- An individual of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India.
2. Age Limit
- A candidate applying for this examination be more than 21 years old and less than 30 years old as of January 2023.
- The upper age limit is of 30 years. (relaxable up to 35 years in the case of Government servants of the following categories: if they are employed in a Department/ Office under the control of any of the authorities mentioned in column 1 below and apply for admission to the examination for all or any of the Service(s)/post (s) mentioned in column 2, for which they are otherwise eligible).
- A candidate who has been continuously in a temporary service regularly in the Department/Office for at least 3 years on the January, 2023.
- The upper age limit is relaxable up to a maximum of five years if a candidate belongs to a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe.
- The upper age limit is relaxable up to a maximum of three years in the case if the candidate belongs to Other Backward Classes. The closing date fixed for the receipt of the application will be treated as the date for determining the OBC status of the candidates.
- The upper age limit is relaxable up to a maximum of five years if a candidate had ordinarily been domiciled from Jammu and Kashmir during the period from 1 January, 1980 to the 31st day of December 1989.
- The upper age limit is relaxable up to a maximum of three years in the case of defense services personnel disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof.
- The upper age limit is relaxable up to a maximum of 10 years in the case of candidates of PwBD (viz. Locomotor Disability including Cerebral Palsy, Leprosy cured, Dwarfism, Acid Attack victims & Muscular Dystrophy and Hard of Hearing).
3. Educational Qualification
For admission to the examination, a candidate must have:
- The applicant must have an Engineering degree from any recognized university with the minimum percentage marks.
- The applicant must have passed Sections A and B of the Institution Examinations of Engineers (India).
- The applicant must have obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such foreign University/College/Institution and under such conditions as may be recognized by the Government for the purpose from time to time.
- The applicant must have passed the Graduate Membership Examination of the Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers Institution.
- The applicant must have passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India.
- A candidate who has appeared for the examination but the results have not been released, then they can apply for the exam.
- A candidate who intends to appear at such a qualifying examination may also apply. Such candidates will be admitted to the examination, if otherwise eligible, but their admission would be deemed to be provisional and subject to cancellation if they do not produce proof of having passed the requisite qualifying examination along with the Detailed Application Form, which will be required to be submitted by the candidates who qualify on the result of a written part of the examination.
4. Medical Examination
Candidates finally recommended by the Commission based on Engineering Services Examination, 2023 shall be required to undergo a medical examination.
- Every approved candidate need to undergo a medical examination as and when so decided by the Ministry of Railways (Railway Board) irrespective of the fact that they have appeared for such medical examination in the past and found fit/unfit on the basis of earlier
- The medical examination will be conducted at various Railway Hospitals under the Ministry of Railways (Railway Board). Other additional instructions for candidates are listed in Annexure-II. The findings of the Railways Medical Board will be taken as final and binding for all allotment purposes.
5. Physical Standard
Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Engineering Services Examination, 2020 as per guidelines given in Appendix-II of the Rules for the Engineering Services Examination, 2020 published in the Gazette of India Extraordinary.
Before applying for the UPSC IES exam, candidates need to check the exam eligibility criteria. The major eligibility criteria of the exam is that, only students with an engineering background can apply for the exam. The criteria for the exam were released with the official notification.
Here in this post, we have explained everything about the IES Eligibility Criteria 2023.
People are also reading: