IIT JAM or IIT Joint Admission Test for M.Sc is a common admission test for enrolling students into IITs and IISc for the postgraduation degree of M.Sc or Master of Science. It is a national-level examination conducted by the IITs and IISc on a rotational basis. Through this entrance exam, the students can get enrolled in M.Sc (Four Semesters), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-M.Tech., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree and other such courses. Reputed colleges and institutions like IITs and IISc offer admissions into these courses on the basis of IIT JAM 2021 exam. This exam is being organized since 2014. In this article, we will give you complete information about IIT JAM 2021.
|Name of the Exam||Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Admission Test for M.Sc|
|Organized By||Indian Institute of Technology|
|Purpose||Admission to M.Sc. (Two Years)|
M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree
Other Post-Graduate Degree Programs at IITs
Integrated PhD Degree Programs at IISc
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Exam Date||2nd week of February 2021 (Tentatively)|
|Eligibility Criteria||Minimum 55% in Bachelor’s Degree|
|Mode of Application||Online|
The tentative IIT JAM Exam Dates have been tabulated below:
|Commencement of online application form||The first week of September 2020|
|The last date to apply online and upload documents||The second week of October 2020|
|Application Correction||The third week of October 2020|
|Admit card release||The first week of January 2021|
|Mock test availability||The first week of January 2021|
|Exam Date||The second week of February 2021|
|Announcement of result||The third week of March 2021|
|Announcement of scorecard||The first week of April|
|Submission of application for admission||The second week of April 2021|
|Declaration of admission list||The first week of June 2021|
The complete IIT JAM Eligibility Criteria have been given below:
- Candidate must be an Indian national
- Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized university.
- The candidate must have secured a minimum of 55% aggregate in their bachelor’s degree.
- Candidates appearing for their qualifying examination can also apply for JAM 2021.
- Their final examination should be complete by the time of registering to the allotted institute.
- Candidates will have to submit proof of qualifying the minimum required eligibility by September 2021.
IIT JAM Application Form will tentatively be available in the third week of October 2020 on the official IIT JAM website. Candidates will have to first register on JOAPS using email ID, mobile number and password.
- Students could fill and submit the application form through online mode.
- Candidates could register by entering their name, Email, Mobile Number and Password on the website.
- After successful registration, candidates receive an Email containing their enrollment ID.
- After login through the ID & Password, candidates have to fill their personal, academic, qualification & other details in the application form.
- Upload the scanned images of photograph, signature.
- Make the fee payment via online mode.
- Make sure to check all the entries before the final submission.
- Candidates are advised to take a printout of the application form for future references.
IIT JAM Application Fee
|One Test Paper||Two Test Papers|
|Female, SC, ST, PwD||INR 750/-||INR 1050/-|
|General & OBC||INR 1500/-||INR 2100/-|
Candidates have to make the fee payment through online mode only.
IIT JAM Admit Card will be available in the first week of January 2021 (tentatively). Admit Card contains details like Name, Photograph, Registration Number, Signature, Code of Test Paper, Exam Center, etc. Admit card will not be sent by post or Email. Candidates have to bring the downloaded admit card along with the original & valid photo identification at the examination centre. Candidates are not permitted to sit in the exam without a valid admit card.
- Candidates can download the admit card by providing enrollment ID/registration number and password.
- The Admit Card will contain the candidature and examination details including name, roll number, exam date and venue of the test centres along with the exam timing and duration.
- Printout of admit card along with a photo ID proof in original and photocopy will have to be brought on the exam day.
The IIT JAM Exam Pattern has been tabulated below:
|Sections||No. of question||Marking||Type of questions|
|Section – A||30||10 questions- 1 mark|
20 questions- 2 marks
|Section – B||10||10 questions- 2 marks|
(can have more than 1 correct choice)
|Section – C||20||10 questions- 1 mark|
10 questions- 2 marks
|Numerical answer type|
- The exam will be organized through online mode (Computer Based Test).
- The total exam duration will be 3 hours.
- The question paper will be in English language only.
- The exam has been divided into three sections.
- There is no negative marking for Section B & C.
- The question paper will have 60 questions of 100 marks.
IIT JAM Exam Syllabus
The IIT JAM Syllabus has been divided into three sections, i.e. Section A, B & C. The syllabus will comprise of different topics such as BL (Biological Sciences), BT (Biotechnology), GC (Geology), MS (Mathematical Statistics), CY (Chemistry), PH (Physics) and MA (Mathematics). Students can prepare from the above-mentioned topics from the examination.