Chemical engineering is a domain impacting various territories of innovation. Chemical engineers deal with procedures to deliver, change, and transport materials starting right from the experiments in the lab, followed by usage of the innovation. Here is what is Chemical Engineering and everything about the course in detail.
What is Chemical Engineering?
Chemical Engineering is a multi-disciplinary branch of engineering that combines natural and experimental sciences, along with life science, maths and economics to design, develop, produce, transform, transport, operate, and manage the industrial processes that helps to turn raw materials into valuable products.
Why Chemical Engineering?
Keeping their capabilities in mind, these professionals are in huge demand. Notwithstanding customary vocations in the chemical, vitality, and oil businesses, they appreciate expanding openings in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, electronic gadget creation, and natural engineering. The one-of-a-kind preparation of the chemical specialist gets fundamental in these zones when procedures include the chemical/physical change of issue.
This implies they are additionally concerned about overseeing assets. They are also known as ‘all-inclusive engineers.’ Since it is such an expansive domain – they are concerned about changing one thing into another.
These courses are based on an establishment in science, material science, and science studies. The chemical specialists must have a total and quantitative comprehension of the engineering and logical standards fundamental for the innovative procedures.
This is reflected in the educational plan of the Chemical Engineering Department, which incorporates the investigation of applied science, material and vitality adjusts, thermodynamics, liquid mechanics, vitality and mass exchange, detachments innovations, chemical response energy, reactor structure, and procedure structure.
Chemical Engineering Eligibility Criteria
The candidates must fulfill the below-given requirements to be eligible to pursue this course:
Undergraduate (UG): The students interested in applying must have cleared the class XII examination from a recognized board with Science stream, i.e., with Physics, Chemistry & Maths as their main subjects. Along with this, the student must also have secured a minimum of 60% aggregate in the best of three, i.e., in the above subjects combined.
Postgraduate (PG): The students interested in applying must have a BTech/BE degree in the same stream (same as the stream applied for postgraduation with minimum aggregate which varies from university to university.
Sub-domains of Chemical Engineering
- Air Pollution and Control
- Drugs and Pharmaceutical Technology
- Fluidization Engineering
- Food Technology
- Green Chemistry and Engineering
- Industrial Management
- Process Optimization
Chemical Engineering Subjects
Here is the complete chemical engineering syllabus for you:
- Mathematics I, II
- Physics I, II
- Chemistry I, II
- Computer Programing
- Engineering Mechanics
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Computer Programing Lab
- Physics and Chemistry Lab
- Basic Electrical and Electronics Lab
- Mechanical Workshop
- Organic Chemistry
- Mechanics of Solids
- Physical Chemistry
- Fluid Mechanics
- Chemical Process Industries I
- Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics I
- Chemical Process Calculations
- Mechanical Operations
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- Organic Chemistry Lab
- Physical Chemistry Lab
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- Technical Analysis Laboratory
- Chemical process Industries – II
- Instrumental Methods of Analysis
- Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics II
- Heat Transfer
- Mass Transfer
- Energy Engineering
- Chemical Reaction Engineering I
- Materials Science and Technology
- Process Instrumentation Dynamics and Control
- Department Elective
- Process Equipment Design
- Mechanical Operations Laboratory
- Heat Transfer Laboratory
- Mass Transfer Laboratory
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Chemical Process Plant Safety
- Biochemical Engineering
- Department Electives
- Chemical Reaction Engineering Laboratory
- Process Control Laboratory
- Project Work
Best Colleges for Chemical Engineering in India
- BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara
- MIT College of Engineering, Pune
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad Prayagraj
- National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli
- Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai.
Roles of Chemical Engineers
One question that might come to your mind is ‘what do chemical engineers do?’ Here are the roles of these professionals:
- Chemical engineers improve food preparing procedures, and techniques for delivering manures, to expand the amount and nature of accessible food.
- They likewise build the manufactured filaments that make our garments progressively agreeable and water safe; they create techniques to mass-produce drugs, making them increasingly reasonable; and they make more secure, progressively proficient strategies for refining oil-based commodities, making vitality and chemical sources increasingly profitable and practical.
- Chemical engineers additionally create answers for natural problems, for example, contamination control and remediation.
- They process chemicals, which are utilized to produce and develop the things that we see around us every day.
Job Profiles for Chemical Engineering
- Analytical chemist
- Chemical engineer
- Energy engineer
- Energy manager
- Environmental engineer
- Manufacturing engineer
- Materials engineer
- Mining engineer
- Nuclear engineer
- Petroleum engineer
- Product/process development scientist
- Production manager
- Quality manager
Companies Hiring Chemical Engineers
- BARC ( Bhabha Atomic Research Centre )
- BIS ( Bureau of Indian Standards )
- BNPM ( Bank Note Paper Mill )
- BPCL ( Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited )
- DRDO ( Defence Research and Development Organisation )
- EIL ( Engineers India Limited )
- FACT ( Fertilizers and Chemicals Travancore Limited )
- GAIL ( Gas Authority of India Limited )
- HPCL ( Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited )
- IOCL ( Indian Oil Corporation Limited )
- IOF ( Indian Ordnance Factories )
- ISRO ( Indian Space Research Organisation )
- KRIBHCO ( Krishak Bharati Cooperative Limited )
- NALCO ( National Aluminium Corporation Limited )
- NFL ( National Fertilizers Limited )
- NMDC ( National Mineral Development Corporation )
- NPCIL ( Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited )
- NRL ( Numaligarh Refinery Limited)
- OIL ( Oil India Limited )
- ONGC ( Oil and Natural Gas Corporation )
- SAIL ( Steel Authority of India Limited )
- Vizag Steel Plant
Chemical engineering is a domain impacting various territories of innovation. It is a multidisciplinary branch of engineering that combines natural and experimental sciences, along with life science, maths, and economics. These professionals are also known as ‘all-inclusive engineers.’
Here we have explained everything you need to know about chemical engineering in detail.
People are also reading: