XAT 2023: Exam Highlights, Application Form, Eligibility Criteria & More
XAT exam 2023 is expected to be held in the first week of January 2023, i.e., 1 January, 2023. This exam is conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur annually for admission to MBA/ PGDM courses. XAT application form will be available on the official website after the official notification is released in August 2022 (tentatively).
XAT Exam Overview
- The candidates must have a 3-year bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognized university to apply for the XAT exam.
- There is no upper age limit to appear for the exam.
- Foreign candidates must have GMAT scores to apply for XAT colleges.
- The question paper includes 101 questions: 100 MCQs from 4 sections and 1 subjective-type question in the essay writing section. The total duration of the exam will be 190 minutes.
- 1 mark will be awarded for the correct answer. There is also a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer.
- 0.10 mark will be deducted after 8 unattempted questions.
- Candidates can start solving XAT previous years’ question papers to clear the exam with good grades. Solving them will help the students to familiarize themselves with the XAT exam pattern. It will also provide a fair idea about the difficulty level and the type of questions asked in the exam.
What is XAT Exam?
XAT full form is Xavier Aptitude Test. It is one of the national-level management entrance exams by XLRI, Jamshedpur. The main aim of this exam is to provide the candidates with admission to PGDM/MBA courses.
Since the XAT score is accepted in more than 700 colleges across the country, it is one of the highly recommended MBA entrance exams. Some colleges accepting the XAT scores are XLRI, 95 XAT Associates, and the 12 XAMI member institutes. XLRI has been conducting these exams for the past 70 years on behalf of XAMI.
XAT Latest Updates 2022
- XLRI released the group discussion, and personal interview shortlists for admission to its PGDM BM, HRM, and Ex-PGDM courses. To check the names of shortlisted candidates, they need to log in to the XAT official website. The last date to upload the documents was 16 February, 2022.
- The GD/PI rounds began for the shortlisted candidates in the last week of February 2022.
- XAT Cut off for the PGDM BM program is 93% for males and 90% for female candidates. For the PGDM HRM program, the cut off ranges between 87%-92%.
XAT Exam Highlights
|XAT Full form||Xavier Aptitude Test|
|Exam Conducting Body||XLRI (Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur)|
|Number of Questions||100 MCQs carrying 1 mark each + 1 Essay (250 words)|
|Number of Sections||5|
|Exam Duration||190 minutes (165 minutes for Part 1 and 25 minutes for Part 2)|
|Mode of Application Form||Online only|
|Minimum Eligibility Criteria||3 year bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognized university|
|Courses Offered||MBA/PGDM/Executive Diploma|
|Total Intake in XLRI Jamshedpur||180 seats each for PGDM BM & HRM programs|
|Number of Attempts||No Restriction|
|Helpline||+91 6576653203, +91 6576653204, [email protected]|
XAT Exam Dates 2023
The XAT exam dates will be released with the official notification. Here are the tentative dates for the exam.
|Events||Important Dates [Tentative]|
|Releasing of official notification||Last week of July 2022|
|XAT Registration Begins||The first week of August 2022|
|XAT Registration Last Date (Without Late Fee)||First week of December 2022|
|XAT 2022 Admit Card Release Date||Last week of December 2022|
|Release of official XAT Mock Test||Last week of December 2022|
|Last Date to Download XAT Admit Card||1 January, 2023|
|XAT Exam Date||1 January, 2023|
|Validity of GMAT/ GRE Score||1 December, 2016, to 31 December, 2021|
|XAT Response Sheet||First week of January 2023|
|XAT Answer Key||First week of January 2023|
|Declaration of XAT result||Third week of January 2023|
XAT Eligibility Criteria 2023
If you want to appear for the XAT exam, the candidates need to be eligible for the same. Here are the XAT eligibility criteria laid down by XLRI in detail:
- Only Indian citizens can apply for XAT 2023. However, foreign nationals can apply for admissions based on their GMAT scores.
- The candidates must have a 3 years bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree from a recognized university to apply for the exam.
- There are no minimum marks criteria to apply for the exam.
- There is no maximum age limit to appear for XAT 2023.
- Final year students can apply for the exam if they complete their graduation by June 2022 and can submit their marks to the respective colleges.
- There is no limit on the number of times a candidate can appear for the exam.
XAT Application Form 2023, Fees And Documents Required
Over lakhs of students register for the exam annually. The first and foremost step to get admission into colleges that accept XAT scores is to fill out the XAT application form.
- The XAT registration will be conducted online, and the application forms will be released on the official website.
- The application forms will be available for 4 months from the first week of August 2022 (tentatively) and will end on the first week of December 2022 (tentatively).
XAT Registration Process And Fees
Before you start filling the application form, you need to know the registration process. Here is a step-by-step guide on the entire registration process to help you fill the application form without any errors.
New Candidate Registration: Generate User ID and Password
If you are registering for the first time, the candidates need to create their XAT ID and Password on the official website- xatonline.in. Follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Visit the official website and go to “Register.”
Step 2: Enter your basic details like your name, contact number, valid email address, etc., and click on “submit.”
Step 3: Once you have filled the form, your unique user ID and password will be displayed on the screen.
Fill XAT Application Form
Log in to the official website with the same credentials to fill the XAT application form 2023. Here are the following details you need to fill in:
- Enter your personal details, including your DOB, nationality, category, parent’s information, address, and valid contact details.
- Enter your academic details, including Class 10th marks, class 12th marks, graduation and postgraduation scores, and the course you want to apply for.
- Enter your full-time work experience details till 31 March, 2022.
- Choose from one of the XLRI programs of your choice- Business Management (BM), Human Resource Management (HRM), Fellow Management Program.
- Then you need to select 2 XAT exam cities from the drop-down list.
Once you have filled in your details, you need to upload the scanned copy of the documents. Here is the list of documents you need to upload:
- A recent photograph in JPG/JPEG format. The file size should not be more than 80kb. It is recommended to upload photographs with dimensions 200 x 230 pixels.
- The signature should be done in black ink on white paper and the file size should not be more than 80kb. The recommended dimension is 140 x 60.
Pay XAT Application Fee
Candidates need to pay the XAT Application Fees online via Debit card, Credit card, UPI, Net banking, online payment wallets:
|XAT Registration Fee||INR 1800 (+300 for candidates interested in XLRI programs)|
|Late Registration Fee||INR 2050 (+500 for candidates interested in XLRI programs)|
|Indian Candidates applying for GMP through GMAT||INR 2500|
|NRI/Foreign Candidates applying for one or more programs through GMAT||INR 5000|
XAT Exam Pattern 2023
You need to know the exam pattern before you start preparing for the exam. The XAT Exam Pattern will be released along with the official notification. The question paper will be divided into 2 parts: Part 1 and Part 2, and the total number of questions is 101.
Here is a quick overview of the paper pattern:
- The exam will be conducted online at XAT exam centers located in 70+ major cities.
- The test will be conducted in English.
- The total time duration of the exam is 190 minutes. Out of which 165 minutes are allotted for Part 1 and 25 minutes for Part 2.
- The total number of questions is 101. Out of which 100 questions are MCQs and 1 essay question.
- The question paper is divided into 5 sections, divided into 2 parts.
- Part 1 comprises 3 sections- Verbal and Logical Ability, Decision Making, and Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation.
- Part 2 comprises 2 sections- General Knowledge and Essay Writing.
- According to the marking scheme, 1 mark is awarded for every right answer. There is a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer.
- Sectional Division of Questions:
|Parts||Section of XAT Exam||No. of Questions||XAT Time Duration|
|Part 1||XAT Decision Making||21||165 minutes|
|XAT Verbal & Logical Ability||26|
|Part 2||XAT GK||25||25 minutes|
|XAT Essay Writing||1|
XAT Marking Scheme 2023
There are not many changes made in the XAT marking scheme in the last 2 years. However, here are some important points on the marking scheme that you need to know.
- Each MCQ carried 1 mark. There is a negative marking of 0.25 for every wrong answer.
- 0.10 marks will be deducted for every unattempted question after 8 unattended questions.
- The Essay writing marks will only be included for the candidates shortlisted for the personal interview round.
- There is no negative marking for the GK section. However, the GK marks are not included while calculating the final XAT score.
XAT Syllabus 2023
With the exam pattern, you also need to know the XAT syllabus before preparing for the exam. Here is the syllabus for 2023:
|XAT QA-DI Syllabus||Mixtures & Alligation, Probability, Geometry, Mensuration, Permutation & Combination, Profit and Loss, Percentage & Ratios, Statistics, Number System, Algebra, Speed & Distance, Quadratic Equations, Logarithm, Surds & Indices, Trigonometry, Work & Time, DI Graphs, Tables & Charts.|
|XAT Decision Making (DM) Syllabus||Business Decisions, Analytical Reasoning, Ethical Dilemma, Situational Conditions, Grouping Test, Data Arrangement Test, Decision Making in a situation|
|XAT Verbal & Logical Ability Syllabus||Para Jumbles, Para Completion, Vocabulary, Grammar, Error Detection, Sentence Completion, Reading Comprehension, Synonyms & Antonyms, Idioms & Phrases, Odd One Out, etc.|
|XAT GK Syllabus||Static GK and Current Affairs: Politics, Economics, History, Geography, Sports, Business Affairs, National & International Affairs, States, etc.|
|XAT Essay Writing||A short essay of 250 words on- current affairs, social & economic issues, abstract, science & technology, business & management-oriented topics, etc.|
XAT Admit Card 2023
XAT Admit Card 2023 is yet to be released. However, it will be released by XLRI tentatively in the 4th week of December 2022. Candidates can download the admit card from the official website.
Here are a few key points on the admit card for XAT.
- The XAT Admit Card will be issued for candidates who have registered for the exam.
- The admit card will include all the information about the exam center, exam date and time, reporting time, and a few important instructions that need to be followed by the candidates.
- The candidates need to carry a printed copy of the admit card. If the candidates fail to do so, they will not be allowed inside the exam hall.
How to Download XAT Admit Card 2023?
Follow the steps given below to download the admit card:
- Go to the official website and log in with the unique XAT ID and password.
- Go to “Download Admit Card”
- The admit card will be displayed on the screen.
- Once you have downloaded the admit card, take a printout of the admit card.
XAT Cut off
The XAT Cut off 2023 is yet to be released. It will be released on the official website after the results have been announced. However, here is the expected and Previous Year Cut offs for XLRI and Other Top Colleges.
XAT Cut off 2023 for XLRI (Expected)
XAT Cut Off for XLRI Jamshedpur varies between 91% to 95% for both BM and HRM courses. The candidates also need to know that, the cut off is different for male and female candidates.
XLRI XAT Cut off 2023 for HRM Program
|XAT 2023 Sections||XLRI XAT 2023 Expected Cut off for HRM|
|Male Engineering||Male Non-Engineering||Female Engineering||Female Non-Engineering|
|Overall XAT Cut off||91-95||89-92||90-93||85-90|
XLRI XAT Cut off 2023 for BM Program
|XAT 2023 Section||XLRI XAT 2023 Expected Cut off for BM|
XAT Cut off 2023 for Other Colleges (Expected)
|XAT College||Expected XAT Cut Off Percentile|
|Institute of Management Technology(IMT), Ghaziabad||90+|
|Great lakes Institute of Management, Chennai||80+|
|Goa Institute of Management||85+|
|Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneshwar||90+|
|FORE School of Management||85+|
|Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida||75+|
XAT Result 2023
XLRI Jamshedpur will release result 2023 in January 2023 after the commencement of the exam. Here are a few details about the XAT exam results 2023.
- The results will be available on the official website.
- The candidates need to enter their XAT ID and password to download the results.
- The results will be valid for one year from the date of release.
- The XAT results will include the details of the candidate and the overall and sectional marks obtained.
XAT Selection Process 2023
The XAT selection process 2023 will start after the results have been announced. Note: XLRI does not conduct a centralized selection process. So every XAT score accepting institute follows its own selection process and criteria.
- The XAT selection process by XLRI will include GD-PI rounds. The shortlisted candidates will be called for GD/PI round.
- After the Personal Interview round, XLRI will release the final merit list based on: result, GD-PI scores, work experience, academic scores, and GK & Essay section scores.
- The ratio of weightage of score & GD/PI scores in the preparation of the final merit list is 60% & 25%.
Other colleges that accept XAT scores may follow a similar or a different selection process depending on the seat intake and allotment criteria.
XAT Previous Year Exam Analysis
The difficulty level of XAT 2022 was higher than other MBA exams like CAT and NMAT. Here is the XAT Exam Analysis for candidates appearing for the exam. This paper analysis will provide a fair idea about the important topics, difficulty level of questions, and the type of questions. Moreover, it will help in devising a clear and strategic plan of preparation.
|Section Name||No of Questions||Distribution Of Questions||Difficulty Level||Good Attempts|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26||
|Decision Making||21||7 DM passages with 3 MCQs each||Moderate||16-18|
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation||28||
|General Knowledge||25||Mixed Questions on Static GK and Current Affairs||Difficult||10-11|
|Essay||1||Any 1 of the given 2 topics had to be attempted:
Best XAT Books
Here are some of the best XAT books which will help the aspirants prepare for the exam.
|Section||Name of the Book||Author/ Publisher|
|QADI||Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||R S Aggarwal|
|How to Prepare for QA for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Data Interpretation for CAT||Nishit K Sinha|
|Quantum CAT||S K Verma|
|Verbal & Logical Ability||Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||Ajay Singh|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|How to Prepare for VARC for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning||R S Aggarwal|
|Decision Making||Jabbing the XAT||R K Jha|
|XAT Solved Papers||Gautam Puri|
|Target XAT Simplified Edition||Disha Experts|
|GK||Manorama Year Book||Mammen Mathew|
|Lucent’s Objective GK||Lucent Publications|
|General Knowledge||Manohar Pandey|
XAT exam is conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur annually for admission to MBA/ PGDM courses. The application form will be available on the official website.
XAT exam 2023 is expected to be held in the first week of January 2023. The official notification is yet to be released and is expected to release in August 2022. Only Indian citizens can apply for the exam.
The XLRI made changes in the XAT exam pattern in 2022. It is expected to remain the same this year too. To help you understand this exam better, here we have given the XAT syllabus, exam pattern, eligibility criteria, admit card, cut off, results, etc in detail.
People are also reading:
I need XAT Syllabus?