NEET Eligibility Criteria 2023: Check Age, Attempt Limit & Qualification

To apply for the exam, the candidates must fulfill the eligibility criteria. Through this article, you will get complete information regarding the NEET Eligibility Criteria 2023.

Latest Updates

  • NEET UG: For medical exam NEET-UG, the upper age limit — 25 years for General and 30 for reserved candidates has been removed

The conducting authority of NEET has released the NEET Eligibility Criteria in its official notification. It is advised that the candidates go through the eligibility criteria carefully before proceeding with the NEET Application Form. The eligibility criteria are the set of requirements that a candidate must fulfill in order to be eligible for the exam. It contains criteria like age, qualification, domicile, etc.

NEET Eligibility Criteria 2023

Get the latest news & updates about NEET Exam via SMS and e-mail, by entering your details below:
[ninja_form id=9]

The candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria will be allowed to apply for the NEET exam. The students who fail to fulfill the eligibility criteria will not be eligible to apply for the exam. The NEET Eligibility Criteria are as given below:

General Eligibility

  • Number of Attempts: In recent news, it been released that the candidates will be able to attempt the exam nine times (GEN) & 14 attempts are provided to SC/ST/OBC category candidates
  • Aadhaar Card: For the NEET Registration process, the candidates must have a valid Aadhaar Card


  • Indian Nationals
  • Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)
  • Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)
  • Persons with Indian Origin (PIO)
  • Foreign Nationals

Age Criteria

  • Minimum Limit: At the time of admission, candidates must be minimum of 17 years of age on or before 31st December 2023
  • Maximum Limit: There is no upper age limit applicable
  • Relaxation: A relaxation of 5 years is provided to the SC/ST/OBC category candidates

Qualification Criteria

  • Qualifying Exam: Candidates must have passed the Class XII or equivalent from a recognized institute
  • Subjects: Candidates must pass the above qualifying examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology & Mathematics or any other elective subjects with English
  • Minimum Marks: Candidates need to secure the following minimum marks:
    • General category 50%
    • PWD category 45%
    • SC/ST/OBC 40%
  • Appearing Candidates: A candidate appearing in the qualifying examination is also eligible

Note: Maths marks will not be considered for admission in MBBS/BDS courses.

Eligibility for 15% All India Quota Seats

Nationality: The applicant must be a citizen of India. However, NRIs, PIOs, OCIs & Foreign candidates can also apply.

For J & K, AP & Telangana States

  • Those who belong from J&K, AP, and Telangana are eligible for 15% All India Quota seats and also eligible for admission to the AFMC, Pune
  • Those who belong from Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, and J & K may also appear for admission to Private Medical/Dental Colleges or any Private/Deemed University & Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune

Eligibility for 85% State Quota Seats

Most of the 85% of seats for admission into the MBBS/ BDS courses are filled through state counseling which is conducted after successful result declaration and the remaining 15% of the seats are filled through the All India quota which is under centralized counseling all over India. Here we have listed the eligibility for the 85% quota seats of the states:

  • Those who have appeared/appearing in the qualifying examination
  • Those who have a valid domicile of the respective states
  • Residential proof of the state

Seats in Participating Bodies

There are several medical colleges that also participate in NEET Exam mentioned as below:

  • Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC)
  • Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
  • Jamia Hamdard University
  • The University of Delhi
  • As per the Government of India’s rules, an OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) candidate can appear in the exam. The maximum age limit would be measurable according to the provisions of states/ universities/ institutions for those candidates seeking admission for participating Institutions/ Universities/ States


NEET is one of the most challenging and prestigious exams in the country. Lakhs of students prepare every year for this exam.

The candidates are advised to check the NEET eligibility criteria before starting their preparation for the examination.

Good luck with your preparations!

People are also reading:

Yashrika Bhardwaj

Yashrika is an Electronics Engineer passionate about technology and integrating it with innovative ideas to give startups an initial boost that they require.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button